BYM stands in solidarity with all those touched by gender based violence and child abuse as well as those working together to end violence against women and children. The 16 days of activism creates a platform for all alumni and others to stand together to break the cycle of violence plaguing our communities. The positive social impact we aim to create as an organisation includes challenging rape culture and empowering women and children to access their agency. Over the next 16 days the BYM team will be speaking out against gender base violence and child abuse. We recognise that gender inequality is the root cause of gender-based violence and we encourage alumni to act to end gender inequality within their communities, families and places of work. We also urge you all to make time to listen to the voices of children crying out for safety. #countBYMin
For more information on this years campaign visit: https://www.gov.za/speeches/16-days-activism-2017-23-nov-2016-1319
Taking part in the Campaign
There are many ways to take part in this year’s 16 Days of Activism. If you’re not sure where to start here are some simple ideas that we can all start with. Please remember that though this campaign is 16 days, we should constantly be working to eradicate violence against women and children.
1. Speak out against gender based violence and child abuse.
2. Support those those touched by gender based violence and child abuse.
3. Begin a dialogue in your community about gender based violence and child abuse.
4. Take part in a dialogue in your community about gender based violence and child abuse.
5. Show your support on social media:
- Take a black and white photo of yourself with a brown cardboard placard and your mouth taped shut.
- Use the placard to spread awareness by shedding light on statistic or issue relating gender based violence and child abuse.
- Encourage other people to show their support. Add the QR code for this page to your picture to the bottom left of your picture. You can grab the QR Code here
- BYM Alumni only: You may add the BYM Logo to the top right hand of your picture. You can download the BYM logo here.
- Upload your picture to you social media profiles.
- Use the following hashtags in your post: #countBYMin #countmein
Statistics relating to gender based violence and child abuse are available at http://www.unwomen.org/en/what-we-do/ending-violence-against-women/facts-and-figures